MAMPU is an agency under the Prime Minister's Department and is responsible to lead and implement the Malaysian Public Sector Open Source Software (OSS) Programme. MAMPU is finalising arrangements for its 2010 OpenOffice.org competition, which will be held in conjunction with MyGOSSCON 2010. The competition will target secondary school students in middle zone (Negeri Sembilan, Selangor, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya). By promoting OpenOffice.org use, we will be equipping and investing in our future generations' human capital development through open source.
OpenOffice.org competition will involve teams comprising secondary (Forms 1-5) school students. Each student team must use OpenOffice.org version 3.2, i.e. Writer, Calc and/or Base in its project. Each student team must present its project using Impress . This competition will be open from 1st June until 6th August 2010. The purpose of this competition is to acquaint and encourage school students to use open source software. There will be 2 stages in this competition. All student teams will be evaluated in the first stage and will be short-listed for the second stage. The finalists in the second stage will need to prepare a presentation of their projects.
Objectives of this competition are:
- To promote the use of open source software from the school level and increase knowledge about OSS
- Encourage students to engage in the use of OpenOffice.org as a preliminary step to identify the OSS and prepare for the world through IT in the future.
Promote and raise awareness of OpenOffice.org among school students.
Foster innovative use of OpenOffice.org
Encourage all school students in Malaysia to use open standards, e.g. Open Document Format (ODF).
TOP 3 WINNERS:
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Bandar Tasik Selatan, Kuala Lumpur
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Putrajaya Presint 9(1), Putrajaya
Sistem Pendaftaran Ko-kurikulum
Kolej Tunku Kurshiah, Negeri Sembilan
Kertas Kerja Pertandingan Hoki
*Note: The following composition is not in order of winners
- Trophy for each schools.
- Certificate for all winners.
- Cash prize:-
- 1st winner – RM1, 500
- 2nd winner – RM1, 000
- 3rd winner – RM500
1. SMK (L) Methodist, Kuala Lumpur
Tajuk Projek : Mail Merge
2. SMK Bandar Tasik Selatan, Kuala Lumpur
Tajuk Projek : e-Kebersihan
3. SMK Sains Seremban, Negeri Sembilan
Tajuk Projek : Analisis Keputusan Akademik Pelajar
4. SMK Dato' Mohd Said, Negeri Sembilan
Tajuk Projek : Examination Mark Sheet Template
5. SM Teknik Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan
Tajuk Projek : Time Table Sheet
6. SM Teknik Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan
Tajuk Projek : Student Card
7. SMK Putrajaya Presint 9(1), Putrajaya
Tajuk Projek : Sistem Markah Peperiksaan
8. SMK Putrajaya Presint 9(1), Putrajaya
Tajuk Projek : Sistem Pendaftaran Kokurikulum
9. SMK Putrajaya Presint 8(1), Putrajaya
Tajuk Projek : Analisis Peperiksaan Pertengahan Tahun bagi Tingkatan 3 dan 5
10. SMK Putrajaya Presint 8(1), Putrajaya
Tajuk Projek : Analisis Peperiksaan
11. SMK Simpang Gelami, Negeri Sembilan
Tajuk Projek : Rekod Kedatangan Kokurikulum
12. Kolej Tunku Kurshiah, Negeri Sembilan
Tajuk Projek : Kertas Kerja Pertandingan Hoki
13. SMK Dato' Mustaffa, Selangor
Tajuk Projek : Template Penjana Invois
14. SMK Putrajaya Presint 11(1)
Tajuk Projek : BMI
Tajuk Projek : Laporan Kewangan Kokurikulum
Open to teams of secondary school students in middle zone to encourage and demonstrate creative uses for OpenOffice.org
Each student team must use OpenOffice.org version 3.2 Writer, Calc and/or Base and prepare presentation slides using OpenOffice.org Impress.
Student teams are free to decide their projects and titles.
- Projects submitted should demonstrate innovative use of OpenOffice.org Writer,Calc or Base.
Presenters are encouraged to include OSS-based creative elements, e.g. text, audio, animation, graphics, etc.
- School name
- Team members
- Last slides must summarise the presentation
Open Source Competency Centre (OSCC), MAMPU3rd Floor, APT E302-E304, Enterprise Building 3,
Persiaran APEC, 63000 Cyberjaya, Selangor D.E
Tel : (6)03 8319 1200
Fax : (6)03 8319 3206
7. Ten (10) finalist student teams from secondary schools will be announced on 30th August 2010. All ten (10) student teams will present on 22nd September 2010 at Open Source Competency Centre, Cyberjaya to determine winning order in each school category.
Teams must comprise 2 or 3 students to participate.
Student teams are free to choose their own projects and titles.
Each school can be represented by no more than 2 student teams.
Each student team must have at least 1 adviser and different student teams from the same school can be accompanied by the same adviser
Student teams are required to use OpenOffice.org 3.2.
Student teams are encouraged to bring and use their own personal computing equipment. An Ubuntu-equipped Linux computer will be provided with no additional codecs, flash, software or any other plug-ins which are not with Ubuntu's 10.04 installation Live CD.
All travel, lodging, and food expenses are not covered and are bourne by the finalist team members themselves.
- All entry forms must be submitted no later than 9th July 2010
- All project components, instructions and templates must be submitted no later than 6th August 2010
- All the entries will be judged and 10 finalist student teams will be announced on 30th August 2010
- 10 finalist student teams will be invited to MInistry of Education, Putrajaya to present their projects on 22nd September 2010
- Winners will be announced and awards presented during the MyGOSSCON 2010 on 2nd November 2010 at PICC, Putrajaya
- Judges panel will be appointed from OSCC MAMPU, Kementerian Pelajaran Malaysia and OSS Community
- Time limit for each presentation is 10-15 minutes
- Judging will be based on the following criteria:-
- Fulfilling requirements
- Creativity - Multimedia elements (e.g. Text, Music, Video, Graphics and Animation) will add value. OSS based creativity elements is preferred over proprietary ones and will be given higher scores.
- Innovative use of OpenOffice.org (Templates, Extension)
- Primary emphasis on originality and functionality of project
- 21st June 2010 : Open for registration
- 9th July 2010 : Closing date for registration
- 6th August 2010 : Closing date for project submission
- 30th August 2010 : Selecting and announcing the Final 10 teams
- 22nd September 2010 : Presentation for the Final 10 teams
- 2nd November 2010 : Award Presentation during MyGOSSCON 2010